Develop a 4–6-page proposal for executive leadership that addresses changes you would like to see within your organization that would advance the field of nursing.
Nursing is in the midst of many changes. In this assessment you will consider how you can be a driving force to bring about needed change within the field of nursing.
Collaborative interprofessional groups are at the heart of resolving contemporary nursing issues. The work of groups and teams is based on strong decision-making and problem-solving skills, led by effective and engaged leaders. Nurses leading collaborative teams are critical for resolving a number of issues such as errors in medications, accidents involving patients, and unsafe shortcuts.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Nurses truly are expert problem-solvers. Tucker and Edmondson (2002) found that nurses utilized problem-solving skills so often that it had become a routine aspect of a nurse’s day. However, nurses must be able to maximize their problem-solving skills in order to lead health care teams in addressing challenges, identifying evidence-based solutions, and implementing those solutions.
Tucker, A. L., & Edmondson, A. C. (2002). Managing routine exceptions: A model of nurse problem solving behavior. Advances in Health Care Management, 3, 87–113.
To prepare for this assessment, you will need to think about changes you feel are needed to address a problem either within nursing as a professional field or within the organization where you work. Narrow down your options by considering which change would best be undertaken by an interprofessional team. Some examples for you to consider might include:
- The use of mobile and portable technology to support patients.
- Using evidence-based practice (EBP) to improve patient care.
- Increasing patient safety and quality of care.
- The use of medical technology such as genes and stem cells, or robots in the OR.
- Addressing the nursing shortage now and into the future.
- Improving the work environment (providing calm, supportive spaces for nurses; improved dialog between health care professionals).
- Better safety for nurses at work (violence, spreading diseases, physical injury).
- Substance abuse by health care professionals.
Or you can narrow the scope to an issue within your own organization:
- Developing a mobility program for an inpatient unit.
- Implementing “smart” technology to assist in patient monitoring.
- Creating a mentoring program to attract and retain nurses.
- Implementing protocols for infection control and/or treatment of an epidemic.
- Developing a plan to eliminate physical violence and verbal abuse in the workplace.
Once you have selected an issue to address, look for scholarly and professional articles that focus on the problem, the needed change, and how interprofessional teams can work together to drive change.
Lately you have noticed the need for changes within your organization that would advance the field of nursing. You have decided to develop a proposal and submit it to executive leadership. Format this assessment as a professional proposal. You may want to look at how proposals are drafted within your organization and follow that format. You will still need a references page; follow APA guidelines for in-text citations and references.
Address the following in your proposal:
- Briefly describe the problem and how it impacts the organization, patients, and/or the nursing profession.
- Describe possible evidence-based interventions for the problem.
- Analyze potential barriers and resistance to change that might come from the organization, patients, and/or colleagues.
- Describe strategies to overcome barriers and resistance to change.
- Develop a plan to implement evidence-based interventions. What steps would you take? What resources might you need?
- Identify other health care professionals to enlist as team members to help drive change in the organization.
Your completed assessment should be 4–6 pages in length, not including title page and references page. Support your statements and intervention plan with references to and citations for at least four scholarly or professional resources.
- Include a title page and references page.
- Reference at least four current scholarly or professional resources.
- Use APA format for citations and references.
- Use Times New Roman font, 12 point.
- Double space.