Using your course and textbook readings and the South University Online Library, perform research on the following:
- Assessment, diagnostic testing, and management of infectious conditions in a pediatric patient
- Differential diagnoses for presentation of symptoms involving infectious diseases in pediatric patients
After completing your research, consider this scenario:
An eighteen-month-old child, well-known to your practice, presents with a seven-day history of fever ranging from 101 to 104.7 degrees Fahrenheit. On the fourth day of the fever, the emergency department had performed the following tests:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- A blood and urine culture
- A complete blood count
- A comprehensive metabolic panel
The culture reports were found to be negative.
Today, the vitals of the child are the following:
- Temperature: 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heart rate: 120 beats/minute
- Respiratory rate: 20 breaths/minute
- Blood pressure: 90/40
Physical examination of the child indicates the following positive findings:
- Injected conjunctiva
- Palmar redness
- Magenta-colored lips
- Red macula
- Excoriating rashes in the diaper area
On the basis of the above information, respond to the following:
- What will be your differential diagnoses for this patient?
- What specific physical exam findings support these differential diagnoses?
- Of the differential diagnoses you listed, which would be the most concerning?
- What additional diagnostic tests will you recommend? Why?
- What would be your focus for caregiver education?