This week, the study of a new text begins:
1. Reading and Questions: The Counsel of Heaven on Earth by Ian F. Jones is particularly valuable and unique in that it does not “engage in formal theory building or systematic counseling strategies, [but] clearly shows how the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, provides counselors with the blueprint for developing an effective counseling ministry.” Be sure to include the preface in your reading. Answer the questions 1-51 located in the assignment section below.
2. “Distinctions in Gender: A Few Biblical Perspectives”. Open and read the attached document concerning perspectives on gender. In pastoral care, counseling and conflict resolution it is important to understand a few of these distinctions and how they may relate to ministry.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
3. “Pastoral Care, Counseling and Conflict Issues: A Military Leader’s Perspective.” Open and study the attahed document that contains brief principles for effective leadership and are helpful for all those who will provide leadership for others in areas including care, counseling and conflict, especially for those minsitering to active duty military, their families or military veterans. The principles are from Admiral Vern Clark, formerly Chief Naval Officer of the U.S. Navy and now a Distinguished Professor at Regent University.
Some question are fill in the blank, please number the questions.
Fall PMIN 511A: Pastoral Care, Counseling and Conflict
Book: Jones, Ian F. The Counsel of Heaven on Earth: Foundations for Biblical Christian
Counseling. Nashville:Broadman and Holman, 2006.
1. Why was the “rational and inductive approach to science” important for Christians?
2. Modern scientific inquiry rests on what belief?
3. Explain the “Protestant doctrine of the priesthood” that developed following the Reformation.
4. How did the “Protestant ethic” impact scientific development in the seventeenth century?
5. How has the Protestant work ethic changed in Western countries, up to the present time, according to the author?
6. What according to Jones, must Christian counselors guard against and avoid?
Essay question: Explain the Christian worldview”.
7. What is the focus of “The Counsel of Heaven on Earth”?
8. Why do so many Christian counseling texts draw heavily from Pauline theology?
9. What percent of Scripture is written in what literary form? In didactic form? Why is this important? (Note: this question has three parts)
10. Why is the “Owner’s” order, as presented in Genesis, a necessary order?
11. Explain one or more ways in which the importance of relationship is emphasized in Genesis.
12. What sets the human species apart from all others?
13. What trait, due to the fall, permeates all human relationships? How does the term “persona” relate to this trait? (Note: this question has two parts)
14. What is a very helpful study to gain insight on people and events that have influenced your life and your responses to events in life?
15. What do all secular counseling theories have in common? Explain the problems with these theories, as relates to a Christian worldview. How do these theories view God? (Note: this question has three parts)
16. What is the fundamental problem with the secular theories of personality? Explain.
17. What is the question with which all effective counseling must begin? Briefly explain why.
18. The author explains how God beings His counsel of heaven on earth. Describe what is involved in this process.
19. Briefly identify and define “the three dimensions of location”.
20. A counselee must determine their current _______; their ____________ and they must decide _____________________________________________________________. These basic steps can be summarized in three requirements for location. State these three requirements. 1. _________________ 2. ____________________ 3. ________________
21. State the seven important principles for location.
22. The author has stated the failure of all secular theories in regard to Genesis. However, he does maintain that these theories can contribute information in two areas: state these two areas.
23. Two of the most well-known individuals in psychology/psychiatry are Sigmund Freud and Carl Rogers. Briefly, what do their backgrounds reveal about their own lack of an ability to understand the “Genesis factor” and a biblical worldview?
24. Define “Biblical Christian counseling”.
25. Why is biblical counseling not “open-ended”-explain.
26. What is the value of biblical counseling?
27. How do communication and koinonia relate to the process of biblical counseling?
28. Briefly explain the concepts of design and purpose/goal in relation to biblical counseling.
29. Describe the biblical concept of healing.
30. Explain the biblical derivation of the English word minister.
31. Explain the meaning of “iatrogenic effects.” What must counselors do to avoid these effects?
32. Name and define “the four main terms describing the various aspects of a person’s total life as found in the Bible”.
33. Explain the difference between the secular “self-help” concept of “self-esteem” and the biblical concept of love of self.
34. Explain a few of the anti-social behaviors exhibited by people who possess a secularized concept of their own “self-esteem”.
35. What is the “challenge” of a biblical approach to self-esteem?
36. What does the skill of listening require?
37. In the process of counseling what dimensions must be covered? In this process who assumes responsibility for the initiative, pace and direction in these areas?
38. List the behaviors/actions are common following a traumatic event.
39. In ministering to people who have experienced trauma, how would you answer the question: Where was God when this [traumatic event] was happening?
40. What is the meaning of wonderful and counselor in the Messianic sense—in describing Jesus?
41. Explain the biblical meanings of the terms hokmah/sophias).
42. What are the values and uses of the discipline of silence in counseling ministry?
43. Explain the biblical meanings of the terms binah/ suneseos.
44. Why must an effective counselor avoid a “rush to judgment” and condemnation for people’s sinful actions?
45. What must a counselor “earn” before she or he can effectively minister to people’s needs?
46. Explain the biblical meaning of the terms etzah/boules.
47. Wise counselors help people __________________________ that ______________________________ and _____________________________________________________________________________________.
48. Describe the two concerns/extremes related to spirituality in counseling.
49. Explain the meanings of the biblical terms geburah/ischuos.
50. Explain the meanings of the biblical terms da’ath/gnoseos.
51. Explain the meanings of the biblical terms yir’ath/eusebeias.
52. What is it that determines the words and idioms you use in a counseling situation?
53. What are some of the signs that a counselor must read to tell them how to communicate most effectively with people in need?
54. According to research men generally tend to see everyday encounters as _______________ ______________.
55. What does the author state concerning women’s behaviors due to socialization?
56. What does the author state are the general differences between men and women in conversation?
57. What are the sated differences between men and women in overall communication?
58. What are the stated differences between men and women in sentence construction?
59. What are the differences in emphasis in the conversations of men and women?
60. What are the general differences between men and women regarding expression of feelings?
61. What are the stated differences between men and women regarding orientation in communication?
62. Do you agree/disagree with the differences between men and women as expressed in questions 3 through 10? Briefly explain your answer.
63. Briefly explain the main points in guidance regarding communication skills as provided in the Scriptures.
64. What are the main points Christian counselors must follow regarding communication and the use of Scripture in counseling?
65. Explain Jeremiah’s main problem (Jeremiah 15).
66. Richard Niebuhr provides a theological principle which he views as applicable in every situation. State Niebuhr’s principle. Briefly explain why you agree or disagree with the principle.
67. Explain one of he exercises a counselor taught a couple to help them shift their focus from their problems to the rebuilding of relationships.
68. Part of God’s work in times of conflict and crisis is to create something new in a situation. Explain what Christian counselors must focus on in addition to problems.
69. Explain the steps in the biblical model of crisis intervention.
70. What was Martin Luther’s solution for problems that required Christians to “extract the precious from the worthless”?
71. When Luther experienced temptation he used a two-step approach to deal his depression and extract the precious from the worthless. Explain those two steps.
72. Essay question: “What are some constructive or therapeutic ways you could introduce the idea of extracting the precious from the worthless to a person who appeared to be engulfed by his or her problems?”
73. What is the meaning of “Comforter” in the original Latin derivation confortare?
74. What does the Spirit reveal in a person’s life?
75. Briefly state the characteristics of the infilling of the Holy Spirit.
76. “Christian counselors should not confuse the gift of discerning the spirits with ___________________________________________________________.”
77. Essay question: “What are your spiritual gifts? Identify your gifts and explain how they relate, in particular, to a ministry of counseling.”
78. Kevin Forrester completed research concerning the consensus of counselors as to biblical traits needed for Christian counselors. As you read and review this list of traits, list the traits, which you honestly believe, as you reflect on your behaviors now and in the past, that you possess and model on a daily basis.
79. Next, read and review the list of spiritual disciplines needed in counseling. List those disciplines that you practice on a regular basis.
80. The author lists “fifteen biblical qualities of an effective biblical counselor. Read and review the list. Be frank in stating those qualities that you currently express in your life and ministry. To do this, go over the list with your spouse, a colleague in ministry, a close Christian friend or mentor. As them to state those qualities that, in their opinion, you currently express in your life and ministry.
81. Essay question: After you have completed your answers for the above questions, develop a personal plan for improvement in the practice of biblical traits, spiritual disciplines and biblical counseling qualities. Be sure that you plan is specific (For example, stating that “I will pray more” may be an important goal, but it is not specific for there is no definition of what “more” means in this goal. You might say, “I believe the Holy Spirit is leading me to arise ½ hour early each morning and spend this time in praise and worship to start the day.”) Also state what you will do for follow-up and accountability.
82. Which is most important and why: (1) determining a counselor’s location in relationship to other Christian therapists and their theories; or (2) identifying one’s position in relationship to God?
83. Explain why “it is possible to disagree without being divisive”.
84. What are the “one anothers” that Christian counselors should follow?
85. What is the meaning of the term “religion”?
86. Why is it important for you to “Clearly define your own terms in counseling and be slow to judge the terms of other Christian counselors?”
87. What use does the DSM have for Christian counselors? Explain.
88. What are the basic criteria for evaluation when assessing books and other resources on counseling?
89. Name the four characteristics of authentic biblical Christian counseling.
90. Name and briefly explain four dangers and temptations in counseling.
91. What was Jesus’ approach when it came to his overall practice of ministry?
92. Essay: “Which dangers identified in the chapter are you more likely to face in your own approach to counseling? Give reasons for your selections and develop a plan to deal with the dangers.”